Thread: How To Take A Picture Of Your Desktop/Post Pictures

How To Take A Picture Of Your Desktop/Post Pictures

Post Your Desktop
    • Minimize all windows, so that only your desktop is showing on your monitor.
    • Click the "Print Screen" button, and hold it for a few seconds.
    • Open a photo editing program of your choice.(I.E. Photoshop or Paintshop)
    • Click File and then New to open a new document. Windows is kind of nifty, and the dimensions should already be set to the resolution of your monitor (I.E. 800 pixels x 600 pixels.)
    • Click Edit and then Paste, to paste your screen shot into your new document.
    • Click Image, and then select Image Size.
    • Adjust the image size to one suitable for general internet viewing (Ex. 500x375)
    • Almost there! Click File, and then Save As...
    • Choose where you would like to save the file (I.E. the desktop), and then name your file. Under the name, make sure you have the correct format. It should either be "JPEG" or "GIF".
    • If you selected "JPEG" and are using Photoshop, a box will pop up, asking you what you would like the quality of your image to be. Since it's for the internet, anywhere between 7-9 should be fine, but you can increase or decrese the quality if you so desire, although you should remember that the size of the file with change in size as well.
    • You're done saving! Scroll down to see how to post the picture.

If You Are A Premium Member...

• Click the Manage Attachments button at the bottom of your screen
    • Next, find the file on your computer, and click Open (Make sure the picture is under 100400 bytes)
    • Type your message, and you're done!

If You Are Not A Premie Member

If you're not a Premie, you will not be able to attach pictures. If you are interested in seeing the other benefits, and/or becoming a Premium Member, click here.
    Since you can't attach pictures, you will have to host the pictures on the internet off-site. There are a number of places on the internet where you can host your pictures. To get a list of a few of these places, scroll down to the next post.
    Once you have the images hosted on the internet, you can now place them in your post. To do so is simple;
    • When you are typing your post, click the Image button.
    • Copy the URL of the picture, and paste it into the box that pops up. Then, Click OK.

*NOTE*
      This is a URL:

You can get the URL address of a picture by right-clicking the picture, and selecting "properties"
    • You're done, finish typing your message, and post it.

Hosting An Image

As explained above, if you are not a premium member, and you wish to post an image on DA, you need to host it elsewhere on the web. Below are some free websites that should work. Please PM me if we have a bum link

• Geocities
      In order to use Geocities, you'll need to change the filename to '.txt'. For example, if your image is called "Picture.jpg" you'll need to rename it to "Picture.txt" Then you can upload your picture to your Geocities website, and host it from there. So, your post on DA would be [img]http://www.geocities.com/username/picturename.txt[/im] (with a g in the last image tag.)
    • Angelfire
      Same instructions as Geocities, you'll need to rename the picture to text file.
    • Tripod
      I believe this is the same routine as the previous two, however I have not tried this one.
    • Imagestation
      For Imagestation, you'll need to obtain the URL of your picture (See Bottom) and paste it into your message with image tags. however, you will need to remove the ".orig.jpg" or ".orig.gif" off of the last part of the URL. (Ex. Instead of ".../picture.jpg.orig.jpg" it would be ".../picture.jpg")
    • 1ASPHost
      This should be pretty simple, copy and paste the URL, however I have had them shut down my account in the past for remote linking (Using their site to host the pictures to post them on message boards like this one.)
    • Snapfish
      You can host pictures on here, but as far as I know, you have to copy and paste the URL, you can't use the IMG tags (IMG tags are the "[IMG]" and "[/IMG]" labels outside of the url)
    • Also, if you have Cox as your ISP (Internet Service Provider) they give you free webspace. visit their website for more details. You can PM me for more help if you need to. The only catch to this one, is that you need a program to upload you images to your webspace.

thanks for the info Phil...and also about the events calendar. BTW, you look remarkably like my 21 year old son.

for a mac? lol

Quote Originally Posted by voluptuous_red
    for a mac? lol
    Digi Cam.

lol funny cause its true

Get yourself a screenshot program for mac: www.google.com/

As for the photoshop thing; I'd reccomend using "save for web" in stead of "save as", but that's just me.

Ah, and I tend to resize mine down to 800x600, are people bothered by this?

I blog!: fortelle.no/blog

R.Tricky is offline DA's Ambassador Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretSamadhi
    so im gunna hafta pay to post pictures? pfft...

Quote Originally Posted by Rtricky
    so im gunna hafta pay to post pictures? pfft...
    No.

www.photobucket.com

You can take a "snapshot" of a Windows computer screen and then turn it into a graphic using a graphics software application. This is useful for reproducing a Web page in print or for documenting an error message for technical support.
    I bought my new Music theater Mobile Phones to see all Boxee Film

My portable's desktop

Was there a different thread for posting your desktop? My search isn't working.
    Last edited by Xavier Tremely; 11-18-2010 at 12:16 AM.
    Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense.
    -Gertrude Stein

Thread Information