Thread: lump in neck

lump in neck

I've got a lump in the back of my neck, about two inches behind my ear and just at the base of my skull. It feels hard, and about the size of a pea. It's round, and easier to feel when I crane my neck. I don't know when it showed up, but it's been there for about a year that I know of. I asked my internist, and he shrugged, said it could be a cyst, and wouldn't do anything else for me. My neurologist suggested that it was a knot in my muscle (bullcrap I say) and to not stress out so much. I wouldn't really be concerned, but I get migraines almost everyday that start at the lump and move up behind my right eye, and then around to the other side of my head.

Besides muscle tension, a cyst, or the dreaded cancer, what the hell could this be? Should I go in and demand some images or a needle aspiration?

jojo is offline son of snouter Premium Member
    insect bite?

Originally posted by jojo
    insect bite?
    Those don't usually last a year...

It could just be a lypoma. It is basically a solidifed grouping of fatty cells.

My sister had one in her lower back which was pinching a nerve. She had to get it removed.

Apparently, most people end up gettting a few lypomas through their life, but they don't hurt, so we just keep them.

i have the same thing in almost the same exact spot. i went to a doctor about it years ago, she told me it was normal. i forgot what she called it though. it goes away when i get my neck popped by a chiropractor, and comes back again if i sleep funny or something. i don't get migraines from it, but it does hurt my neck and make movement hard if it swells too much

I have one of these things on the back of my neck too. been there for ages.
    Just keep an eye on it and if it changes size tell you doc.

I had one too. After a tick bite. Were you in woods last year ? I had a perfect bullseye where the tick had festered my scalp. It was lyme desease, and I got to doc fast, so hope it was cured. I took very strong antibiotics . granny

Red is offline ... is BACK! And still stalking Katalina! -=Administrator=-
    my friend has the same thing it seems... though i forget what he said it really was...
    DA Admin

"If you liberals keep gettin' your way - we're all gonna hear one big loud flush. The sound of the U.S. of A. goin' straight down the toilet." -- Archie Bunker

Why the Towers Fell (Fixed link!)

I switched to a new doctor (whom I've never met) and I'll be seeing him for the first time tomorrow. The appointment is to get some test results, but I'll ask his opinion on it. Even if it is something completely harmless, I'm of the opinion that the darned thing needs to go if it's causing me pain. Then of course, I started getting migraines 11 years ago (during puberty) and they still haven't done an MRI. Damned HMO's.

Thread Information