Thread: Is There Any Way To Keep My Nose WARM???

Is There Any Way To Keep My Nose WARM???

I HATE having a cold nose. My cube mates at work like it when it's 70 degrees in the room. I prefer 80 degrees myself. When the temperature drops much below 80 degrees, my nose is the first thing to get cold.

Perhaps I don't have adequate blood flow in my nose???

I take thyroid medication, and "on paper" my metabolism is just fine. But my easily getting cold indicates that some aspect of my metabolism is underactive, as indicated by my being cold below 80 degrees.

Any ideas???
    Ric

your nose feels cold? that's weird, even when i'm cold... like it's snowing outside, my nose doesnt exactley feel cold until i touch it, or when it starts running cuz i'm out in the cold.

i think the best ways i stay warm, make sure my feet are warm, and i like to wear a hat when it's chilly, even if i'm inside or something, cuz it makes me just TOASTY.

-question... your HANDS arent cold? just your nose?
    Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
    Before we too into the Dust descend.--Omar Khayym

Aufgeblassen, are you taking Synthroid for the Hypothyroidism? It is good, but there is nothing to replace a properly working thryroid gland.

Daily exercise and a healthful diet should help. Some exercise must be performed in the morning to get the system kicked up a notch.

Yes, I take synthroid, and the Dr. says if anything, I'm a little too high.

First my nose gets colds, then my hands start feeling cold, then my feet, etc.

Even though I'm 300 pounds, my blood pressure is (naturally) quite low, typically 110/75, and my heart rate is on the lowish side too. Perhaps if They were higher I'd feel warmer???
    Ric

my mom has a very low blood pressure... when they do her blood pressure in the hospital they ask always ask her if she's cold... they also ask if she ever gets dizzy or faints, and she just gives them an "are you crazy?" kind of look.

*shrug* yeah i guess blood pressure can be a factor.... can you wear a hat? you might be the only person IN orlando wearing a hat and woolen socks.. but it MIGHT work.

Originally posted by Aufgeblassen
    If it is under 250mcg a day or less then it isn't extremely high. If you have had nothing medically done to your thyroid like radioactive iodine or sugery you should talk to an alternative doctor who specializes in natural remedies. Finding a traditional endocrinologist is difficult enough I am sure, but getting on a natural form of thyroid supplementation may offer better result than synthroid.

...my blood pressure is (naturally) quite low, typically 110/75, and my heart rate is on the lowish side too. Perhaps if They were higher I'd feel warmer???
    The low blood pressure associated with hypothyroidism is one reason for the feeling of always being cold. People with hyperthyriodism (notice: "hyper") can go swimming in the ocean in winter and not feel cold which is the exact opposite condition but much more dangerous since the heart is racing.

Exercising everyday will help and is essential even if you did not suffer from hypothyroidism. You need to kick up the metabolism in a healthful manner. A slow metabolism is not healthy. I would recommend a high quality daily multi-vitamin regime to start with and choose your food and drink carefully. Before you consume anything think about what benefit it will give your mind and body.

Seaweeds such as nori and dulse are excellent healing foods and the best source of dietary iodine which your thyroid needs. Conversion of beta carotenes is disrupted with hypothyroidism so you should take vitamin A supplements or eat eggs. Flourine and chlorine block iodine receptors to the thyroid gland so you need filtered water and unfortunatly have to limit your soy bean and peanut consumption since they too inhibit iodine absorbtion.

Production of thyriod hormones are greatly assisted by Synthroid, but other nutrients and exercise must be utilized to get the metabolism back in the normal range.
    Last edited by ; 11-21-2002 at 12:54 AM.

you better watch out with that iodine, ask your doctor, he might be monitoring those levels as it is anyways.

my friend had a cyst on his thyroid, a week before he was gonna get that removed we went out for sushi, his iodine levels got kicked up, and he was throwing up for at least 3 days.

(just ask your doctor first, before taking iodine, cuz you just might start throwing up.)
    -and about taking the natural form of thyroid hormones, once again ask your doctor if you even need a supplement, cuz the hormones arent something to be messing with, unless you have ALL the information.

Originally posted by turtle_o
    you better watch out with that iodine, ask your doctor, he might be monitoring those levels as it is anyways.
    Endrocrinologists generally monitor Thyroxin (T4), T3 resin uptake, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). A patient is prescribed a daily dose of Synthroid to get the thyroid stimulating hormone into the normal range.

my friend had a cyst on his thyroid, a week before he was gonna get that removed we went out for sushi, his iodine levels got kicked up, and he was throwing up for at least 3 days.
    Sounds like food poisoning.

(just ask your doctor first, before taking iodine, cuz you just might start throwing up.)
    LOL For at least 3 days right? LOL The truth is insufficient intake of organic iodine in today's modern diet is a primary reason for chronic hypothyroidism. Didn't they teach you that in Bio 101? Well, hopefully you learned it here. LOL

-and about taking the natural form of thyroid hormones, once again ask your doctor if you even need a supplement, cuz the hormones arent something to be messing with, unless you have ALL the information.
    The diagnosis is hypothyroidism, that calls for a treatment to replace the deficient thyroid hormone. This comes in 2 forms sythroid T4 and desiccated thyroid T3. Synthroid has the advantage of being consistant in potency. Thyroid derived from animals, however, has elements that may beneficial which are not in Synthroid.
    Last edited by ; 11-21-2002 at 12:15 PM.

I concurr with all Snouter said. I would also keep tabs on your caffiene intake.

Im the opposite of yourself, I prefer temperatrues in the mid-high 60s. 70 is OKAY if I am still, but if I am moving at all 70+ is warm and 80+ is downright uncomfortably hot.

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke*

Originally posted by Aufgeblassen

First my nose gets colds, then my hands start feeling cold, then my feet, etc.

Even though I'm 300 pounds, my blood pressure is (naturally) quite low, typically 110/75, and my heart rate is on the lowish side too. Perhaps if They were higher I'd feel warmer???
    Try wearing a scarf. Apparently, when your neck gets cold, it acts like a signal to the rest of your body to conserve heat.....so the blood vessels in your extremeties restrict, and your hands, feet, and nose get cold.

Originally posted by Snouter
    Sounds like food poisoning.

LOL For at least 3 days right? LOL The truth is insufficient intake of organic iodine in today's modern diet is a primary reason for chronic hypothyroidism. Didn't they teach you that in Bio 101? Well, hopefully you learned it here. LOL
    what does insufficient iodine intake and hypothyroidism have to do with the fact that when this kid had sushi, he had some sort of iodine overload to his cysted thyroid gland and got sick.

i dont know how long he was sick, at least a couple days, AND the doctors told him that the it was the iodine in the fish that was messing his thyroid and making him sick.

and for it to be food poisoning, we all went out for sushi, 3 of us had sushi, and only ONE of us got sick? hhmm, if the fish was infected with something that would make us sick, we would've ALL gotten sick.

(and uhm, who are diagnosing with hypothyroidism... my friend for example, got the cyst removed, and now he's fine, normal levels, and can eat fish again.)
    Last edited by turtle_o; 11-24-2002 at 10:55 AM.

I hate being cold too...

and my nose is usually the first place too

Originally posted by DngrMse

Try wearing a scarf. Apparently, when your neck gets cold, it acts like a signal to the rest of your body to conserve heat.....so the blood vessels in your extremeties restrict, and your hands, feet, and nose get cold.
    But then I'd look like CHARLES NELSON RILEY!!!
    Ric

Multi Vitamin

Snouter, Thanks for all the interesting information! Could you recommend a High quality multi-vitamin regime for someone who is always cold and has no energy but can't afford to see an expensive doctor? Or some more tips on what to do? You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks!

Thread Information