Thread: What was your first car & why did you get rid of it?

What was your first car & why did you get rid of it?

My first car was a 1981 MKI golf GTi 1588 cc. Back in 1989!! And was much loved!

In 1994 I went to Houston on a training course with a well known oil services company for 7 weeks.

When I got back I felt unsafe in the Golf as it had "suddenly" become way too small!

I got a BMW 525i and haven't had anything smaller since!
    Love you =love myself

Where did ya work, on a Schlumberger rig?

I started on motorcycles when I was 12. First a Kawasaki KE 100, then a Suzi GS 450 S when I was 15. Because of how the law worked in Florida at the time, I kept my motorcycles an my learners until I was 18 (funny laws -- I had the same rights with a learners than with a license after 15y 8m, as long as I was only on motorcycles, and I didn't have to take a test or pay a fee or get insurance).

Anyway, when I finally needed a car, when I was 18, I got a drivers license and a Mercury Bobcat (because it was only 300$ and they were willing to finance). Roofles. Once that broke down about 4 months later, I got what I think of as my real first car: a 1979 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (that's my little bro in the picture) -- which was the most awesome car on earth. 7.0 litres with huge royal red naugahyde bench seats & surf racks. That was the second most awesome car ever, in a close tie for my current Corvette C5 convertible.

Longest I ever owned anything was 13 years for this GMC and 10 for the Suzuki next to it. I got that after I had a Jeep Wrangler (old AMC version) for a few years and I liked being able to see over traffic. The Jeep got beat to death over 3 years of offroading. Tons of funz.

Since, a few motorcycles, all Yamahas and Suzukis. The Yamaha's were both cheap pieces of crap I got both for under a grand. I've only owned one foreign car, though. It was a Honda Civic I bought for $100 bucks. Not a bad deal, really.

Yeah, I take pictures of my cars & bikes :/ But, this is a car & bike forum, so I don't think you're allowed to make fun of me for it, here.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" -- Jerry Falwell

I had a 1987 Chevy Nova.
    I got rid of it when it had 263K miles on it since I had a kicking Acura that I loved and a cousin who needed a car. He put another 80K on it before it finally died.
    ***2009 DA Rookie of the Year***

Quote Originally Posted by Adanch View Post
    I like it!!! Dick and all!

Quote Originally Posted by fat mike View Post
    we need to keep tinkerbelle out of jail-the lesbians would kill each other trying to get at her

BooRadley, back in the old days CT had different rules for motorcycles also. I was riding legally on the streets at 15 also. A Harley-Davidson 125cc when AMF bought the company and rebranded piece of shit bikes they imported. Great exercise for the right leg to try to get those started. Malfunctioning 2 cycle oil injection system that regularly fouled the plug. First car was a hand me down '76 Chevy Nova with a 350 that was when Chevy 350 were at their worst. But it was a tank. It was hit several times and the giant chrome bumpers with rubber trim (actually had shock absorbers) made it like nothing happened. The various vehicles that hit it, did not make out as well. Awesome vert Vette ya got there!

A beige Datsun 210, with stripes on the side. Not my choice for a car, but hey, I couldn't complain because my dad got it for me, when I was 16 or 17. So I was just happy to have a car!

And how did I get rid of it? After a few years I got in a car accident, and it was almost totaled, so that was the end of that.
    Last edited by lily; 02-22-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    "Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people."
    - Clint Eastwood

I saw a frame-off rebuilt 71 Nova SS for $8k recently, Snout. If I had a place to keep it, I would have bought it. The first bike I had, the Kawi KE 100 endoro had a 2 stroke injection system, too. It didn't work well, but it was easier than mixing gas, right?
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" -- Jerry Falwell

Yeah I also had a motorcycle license at 15. Yamaha Enduro 100. Anything less than 125cc was considered a moped in TX. My first car was a 1981 Turbo Trans Am. Awesome car. The turbo motor had been blown up and replaced with a 400 big block. Luckily, I was rearended by a lumber truck at a light. Sometimes I look back and cringe thinking about how lucky I am I didn't kill myself in that thing.

I represent the angry, gun toting meat eating people. ~ Denis Leary

The same shepherd that protects the flock leads them to the slaughterhouse.

1973-74 Fiat. Lovely Pea Green with an orange stripe. How did I get rid of it. Well it stopped working completely. I tried to get a tow truck to remove it but they said I'd have to Pay them $25.00. So I put an add in a local paper. Free Fiat, best use spare parts. Somebody with a Fiat from the same year had it removed from my yard for free and used it for the parts cause his car borke down every five minutes too.
    Last edited by queenlillian1962; 02-22-2012 at 10:09 AM.

1956 MGA, bought in '64. The temp gauge didn't work and I blew a radiator hose zipping through the desert and ended up cracking the block. After that, each morning, the starter would pump water out of the cylinders until the engine caught, then I'd refill the radiator.

A couple of months later another driver hit me and his insurance company put my MG in the shop for a couple of weeks. When I went to pick it up the shop owner asked if it was for sale, as he wanted something like that for his wife. I said I'd consider it, so he took it for a spin around the block. All the water had evaporated by that time and it ran like a top, not overheating in that short time. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and paid me cash.

I never did see that car on the street after that. I bet he was a more cautious buyer after that.

Totally jealous of the MGA & the TransAm. Oddly, especially the MGA.

Quote Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
    Totally jealous of the MGA & the TransAm. Oddly, especially the MGA.
    While I was in the service I bought a '60 MGA. It was fun, too.

First Car. 1976 Ford Thunderbird with the big ol' 460 Cubic Inch Windsor Motor. Got it from my parents when I was 16.

Here is a 76 with the same paint color. I had different wheels though. Good times in that car.

Thread Information