Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rommel was a bad general

Rommel was a bad general

The guy really never should have been promoted above the rank of captain, but he was a favourite of Hitler and as we all know it's who you know, not what you know.

Rommel was basically hated by everyone above NCO rank who served under and with him. The found him egotistical, vain, interfering and lacking in strategic knowledge.

For all that people nowadays think of him as a general who thought on his feet, when Rommel ran into a problem (the enemy) that he couldn't beat off his original plan his idea of strategic brilliance was to throw men and equipment at it until it went away. He couldn't come to grips with his own shortcomings.

Don't sweat it. War is theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerkampfwagen View Post
    The guy really never should have been promoted above the rank of captain, but he was a favourite of Hitler and as we all know it's who you know, not what you know.

Rommel was basically hated by everyone above NCO rank who served under and with him. The found him egotistical, vain, interfering and lacking in strategic knowledge.

For all that people nowadays think of him as a general who thought on his feet, when Rommel ran into a problem (the enemy) that he couldn't beat off his original plan his idea of strategic brilliance was to throw men and equipment at it until it went away. He couldn't come to grips with his own shortcomings.
    Source, please.

Some officers were resentful of his promotion and connections to Hitler, others thought he was reckless and a glory hound, but I've never read that he was so universally reviled.

The brilliance thing is subjective, though you are surely wrong. I'd consider him more of a Captain Kirk -- in both the bad (poor decision-making, reckless) and good (intuitive, lucky) sense -- but not a meat-grinding imbecile.

There's a reason why he never held an important command.

i should recuse myself-but i always heard rommel was brilliant-im starting to be suspicious of all the revionism you see on this site-dems hate blacks,lincoln was bad-how do i know you asshles arent just a bunch f nazis that disagree with everything taught in teh schools??
    tired of your extremism

Quote Originally Posted by fat mike View Post
    i should recuse myself-but i always heard rommel was brilliant-im starting to be suspicious of all the revionism you see on this site-dems hate blacks,lincoln was bad-how do i know you asshles arent just a bunch f nazis that disagree with everything taught in teh schools??
    So why was he always given commands the Nazis considered backwaters? If he was brilliant he would have been fighting the Soviets.

you think? werent they just throwing numbers at the soviets? wheres the strategy in that?
    tired of your extremism

schools??
    What schools did you attend you retarded retard?

Quote Originally Posted by Š† View Post
    y r u so hostile towards me?? you dont like germans??
    tired of your extremism

Quote Originally Posted by Š† View Post
    if i respect anyone here it isnt because of waht kinda school they went to=those schools spit out idiots faster than
    you spit out lies-
    tired of your extremism

86Dde is offline Definitely here NOT to please!

I've known more than a few German soldiers. I think they're all dead now, but they were respectable. I think we get lost in the argument that they were all jew hating NAZI's, but I respect the fact that they were one hell of a professional fighting force.

y r u so hostile towards me?? you dont like germans??
    I simply asked a question. Why is a simple question interpreted as "hostility" by your brain?

if i respect anyone here it isnt because of waht kinda school they went to=those schools spit out idiots faster than
    you spit out lies-
    Three hours later you get all butthurt and stuff. Speaking of your brain, I just read a news article about schitzophrenics like yerself hearing "voices" and how it is important to try to block out the "voices." Yet you think the satanic voices you hear are spiritual in some bizarre way.

Cd. is offline Usually harmless Discussion Leader

Interestingly, he has a lot of parallels with Patton. Both were arrogent, egotistical but were also considered geniuses. Also, neither survived the war.
    The best thing about aging is that I stopped caring what other people think about me. I do not live my life to impress anyone and have nothing to prove to anyone. Its really quite liberating.

So why was he always given commands the Nazis considered backwaters? If he was brilliant he would have been fighting the Soviets.
    The only problem was that he disliked Himmler and the SS. And the Eastern Front was a largely SS enterprise. Its possible that if he lived longer he might have been sent there anyway.
    The best thing about aging is that I stopped caring what other people think about me. I do not live my life to impress anyone and have nothing to prove to anyone. Its really quite liberating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cd. View Post
    Interestingly, he has a lot of parallels with Patton. Both were arrogent, egotistical but were also considered geniuses. Also, neither survived the war.
    Patton survived the war; he was killed afterward in an automobile accident.

Ironically, the driving abilities of soldiers is something he had quipped about during the war ("...we have so many God-awful drivers."). Looks like he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zordar View Post
    Patton survived the war; he was killed afterward in an automobile accident.

Ironically, the driving abilities of soldiers is something he had quipped about during the war ("...we have so many God-awful drivers."). Looks like he was right.
    The war in Europe was over, but as I recall it was before VJ day.

The only problem was that he disliked Himmler and the SS. And the Eastern Front was a largely SS enterprise. Its possible that if he lived longer he might have been sent there anyway.
    The Eastern Front wasn't largely SS. The SS wasn't the largest force the Germans had.

The war in Europe was over, but as I recall it was before VJ day.
    No, Patton died in December, 1945.

There's a reason why he never held an important command.
    Invasion of Poland and France and the low countries weren't important commands? Now granted, the frenchies are cheese eating surrender monkies but after they knew they were fighting Rommel that's why they surrendered so fast and asked for cheese.
    The NSA is the only Government Agency that will listen to you.

I Pledge Resistance, to the Nazi Flag, of the United Police States of America, and to the Private Federal Reserves for which it stands. One Corporation, under Goldman Sachs, unaccountable, with poverty and slavery for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Going Postal View Post
    Invasion of Poland and France and the low countries weren't important commands? Now granted, the frenchies are cheese eating surrender monkies but after they knew they were fighting Rommel that's why they surrendered so fast and asked for cheese.
    Rommel wasn't in command of those. He was just one little guy. He never held what was considered an important command.

Thread Information