what I've found
    bite my lip
    how far down is down?

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
    ***2009 DA Rookie of the Year***

Quote Originally Posted by Adanch View Post
    I like it!!! Dick and all!

Quote Originally Posted by fat mike View Post
    we need to keep tinkerbelle out of jail-the lesbians would kill each other trying to get at her

Quote Originally Posted by IFF View Post
    thanks Lulu. tell us what you think of them when you read them
    Finished Tiger's Wife a while ago. Great read. No time to read right now... so will give you reviews on the other 2 in about 4 months when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Finished Tiger's Wife a while ago. Great read. No time to read right now... so will give you reviews on the other 2 in about 4 months when I have time.

glad you enjoyed it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkly Mary View Post
    We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
    haven't read it but i thought the movie was very good.
    e. e. cummings is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by jack735 View Post
    I'm completely hooked on Murakami's book, recently. I love it and I recommend it for everybody how needs good literature!
    would that be 1Q84?

personally i finished "fame" by daniel kehlmann. this was an enjoyable satirical read and each of the 9 parts of it fit in well together. my personal favourite of the 9 stories that make up the novel was about an author who goes on a junket to a developing country and gets forgotten about. the main overriding theme of the book is an existential crisis faced by the characthers.

i also read "i curse the river of time" by per pedersen. the main characther is going through a divorce and his mother's been diagnosed with stomach cancer (she complains in the book "and all this time i was worried about getting lung cancer from cigarettes, i get stomach cancer"). overall, it was very well written and a good book. I think the last chapter will stay with me for a while

i did also finish "the outlaw album" by daniel woodrell. a superb collection of short stories.

currently reading:
    "nada" by carmen laforet. this is a reread. semi-autobiographical set just after the end of the spanish civil war. Andrea has moved to barcelona to go to college and there, she is staying with her grandmother, uncles and aunt and the wife an uncle, gloria (who's described on the book jacket as being "disturbingly beautiful".) her aunt is very controlling. her two uncles are prone to violent rages and do not get on.

"atomised" by michel houellebecq. this is a reread. atomised is about two half brothers, Michel and Bruno. Michel has no interest in sexual activity while bruno's interest in it is overdeveloped lets say. Michel is a scientist while Bruno is a teacher. It's a superb read. that's why i'm rereading it.

Turns out that Tristes Tropiques is one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read, a masterpiece.
    Safe to kill
    it all comes back or
    stick it out and
    wage my own attack

Lift me up through
    what I've found
    bite my lip
    how far down is down?

I am reading an old astronomy book by Robert H. Baker called "When The Stars Come Out." Old, but good basic stuff.
    Jim Colyer "Girl Album" @ my home page

Pennants & Pinstripes - a book about the New York Yankees

Yankees http://www.yankees.com
    Jim Colyer "Girl Album" @ my home page

I am reading The merchant of venice which is most known romantic novel. It has wonderful plot which increase well interest of reader. There are heroin as main character which make it different and most attractive novel.

the parallel universe of self

currently:

empire of the sun by jg ballard. based on ballard's own experiences of world war II from being interned in shanghai

vanished kingdoms by norman davies. this focuses on the evolution of countries in europe with a focus on some of the forgotten kingdoms. the first two chapters were on Tolosa (now part of much of France) and Alt Clud (the last kingdom of the native britons in Scotland)

I just finished (last week, lol) the entire Hunger games trilogy in four days on my kindle fire.

might read it again

She Walks These Hills by Sharyn McCrumb
    Avie reads: I have altered the pool. Pray I do not alter it any further.

I Am A Strange Loop by Douglas Hofstadter...im not terribly excited about it, but have a policy to also finish reading a book
    "...and from these walls laughter will run over the world and infect with courage the bent, laborious peon of antiquity." - 'Desolation Angels', Jack Kerouac

"...now you're really in the total animal soup of time..." - 'Howl', Allen Ginsberg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

I might read 1984.

Im in a dystopian mood

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. and I'm reading a really weird book called Beowulf.

I learned that there is a lot of cool stuff in the Potter books that were not in the movies so I decided to read all 7 books.

started "diary of a bad year" by jm coetzee on wednesday. It has a few threads to the book. one is the political opinions of the narrator, a senor C. another i think is about a woman who enters his life and the third involves a man that is connected to the woman. now all i have to do is find time at lunch to read it.

Just finishing up Bruce McNall's bio, "It Was Fun While It Lasted". He at one time owned the LA Kings Hockey team. Not that great of a book - too many boring details about his finances that got him into jail.

Have the bio of aviator Curtis Wright up next also a book on the Bataan Death March.

All my books are from the library. (I don't see why anybody would buy books.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    ...a book on the Bataan Death March.
    Interesting. My father's friend, the late Freddie (Super Fred) Yeager was a survivor of that genocide.

Currently reading A Short History of the Jews by Clement Wood. Will be ordering his The Making of the Old Testament soon. Clement Wood was literally one of the most brilliant minds in history. Historian, novelist, poet, analyst, bohemian decades before the Beat Generation, etc.

"diary of a bad year" by coetzee was very good.

in it's place, i've started " aunt julia and the screenwriter" by mario vargas llosa. in it, 18 year old mario starts an illicit affair with his aunt by marraige, Julia.

Thread Information