PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody tell me how much under msrp I can pay for a new car

Corporate Avenger
03-21-2002, 02:44 AM
I should already have the stupid thing but the total moron I'm getting the car through doesn't know a damned thing and it's driving me insane. I keep getting these quotes for the car that are rediculously high. There is no way I'm going to pay sticker price but I'm not sure how low I can go. What I need to know is if anybody has any idea what percent or how much can you generally go under msrp? I know how much invoice price is and I'm wondering if I can offer below that or not? If I don't get the car by next week I can't get it at all cause the factory rebates come to an end and then I can't afford it.

and then I go permanently insane

ResidentRice
03-21-2002, 05:20 AM
OK, the way that most dealers work is this. If they sell a car at invoice, they still make profit, because all the major car companies offer "kickbacks" to dealers for every car they sell. I've heard it ranges from around 3 to 4 hundred bucks for an under-20-thou car. So if they sell it to you at the price they buy it at, they still make a few hundred. I've heard the best way is to look online, as most dealers are very wary of savvy shoppers, and an internet shopper is a savvy one. Also, make sure they don't stick you with stupid bullshiite dealer add-ons like "insurance window engravings" or some other such nonsense. But yeah, I forget which site it is, but there's one out there that tells you exactly how long a certain car has been sitting on a dealer's lot, and how much he paid for it. Also, I've heard that its best to shop for new cars around the 25-28th of the month, as many dealers are trying to make their monthly quotas set by the companies to get extra kickbacks. Sometimes, towards the end of the month, its profitable for a dealer to sell you a car for a good bit under invoice just so he can make the monthly numbers and get a big bonus from the company. Well, that's my limited knowledge. Good hunting!

Corporate Avenger
03-21-2002, 06:53 AM
Yea I read something about them still making money selling at or below invoice, and yea, I'm not paying for any of that stupid dealer add on crap. I wish I could find that site that tells how long it's been sitting! And I heard about that end of the month thing, looks like I'll be dealing right about then, hopefully I can swing a good deal from desperate salesman..:)

Thanks for the advice..

Manu
03-21-2002, 10:55 AM
CA-

The best reference

www.carsdirect.com

That is the price at which someone will actually sell the car, cause hey, if you can't get it from the dealer, you can get it from carsdirect.com (Mike at SN used this for his wifes old truck). I used it as a reference when I got my stang. I said, I am not willing to pay a dime more than the carsdirect.com price. (I ended up paying 200 more, got an alarm out of it.)

u8nxprt
03-21-2002, 11:04 AM
Only work with the really high volumn dealerships and only talk to fleet sales. Just ask them for a quote, get a quote from three dealerships. That's probably the best you can do, you can't make them sell you the car for your price.

SilverStreak
03-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Never deal off MSRP, deal up from invoice. Ask them flat out, "What do you need over invoice on this car?" Unless it's a specialty car or superhot or super rare, try to keep it around $300 (maybe $500) over invoice. At that price, the sales guy gets some money, the dealer gets a sizable wad and you get a fair deal.

Depending on the make of car, generally the dealer can make 2-3% on "dealer holdback" which means if the car has been on the lot under 90 days they get an extra 2-3% from the mfgr. They lose the holdback if it's been on the lot for more than 90 days.

Corporate Avenger
03-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Ok, thanks for all the advice, I'm picking the car up this morning at 11. I'm getting it through a fleet guy so it's a good deal:)

Swappy
03-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Post some pics/specs of what you get

Manu
03-22-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Corporate Avenger
Ok, thanks for all the advice, I'm picking the car up this morning at 11. I'm getting it through a fleet guy so it's a good deal:)

Sweet dude, PICS! If you don't got a digital, hit me up, we can meet up somewhere and get pics taken. :P

Corporate Avenger
03-22-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Manu

Sweet dude, PICS! If you don't got a digital, hit me up, we can meet up somewhere and get pics taken. :P

Got it..

I don't have a camera, not much to see though, it's just a little economy car..:)

Handles damned good though, I just went on a 20 mile test drive and took some fast turns. I need to go break the sucker in, it feels all tight. I feel like driving out to Vegas:D

Maybe a picture of it tomorrow at the Ruppert thing??..:cool:

I need torque!! How do the Ricers do it?? No torque!

Swappy
03-22-2002, 05:36 PM
What kind of car is it?

Corporate Avenger
03-22-2002, 07:03 PM
It's a Focus... yea I know, but it was cheap..:)

Btw, I ended up paying a little les than invoice before the rebate..:)

Swappy
03-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Well, with the gas prices as high as they are, don't blame ya on the car selection

Geoffrey
03-25-2002, 06:38 AM
so, what kinda focus, whatcha end up paying?