PDA

View Full Version : Pet lizards feast on owner's corpse

u8nxprt
01-17-2002, 04:42 PM
DOVER, Delaware (AP) --Several flesh-eating pet lizards were found feasting on the corpse of their owner in his apartment, police said.

Police were called to Ronald Huff's apartment in Newark, Delaware, on Wednesday after a relative became worried because Huff failed to show up for work, investigators said.

Officers found Huff's body on the floor, with his pet Nile monitor lizards feeding on his flesh. The state medical examiner is investigating the cause of death.

Huff, 42, had last been seen Sunday, New Castle County police said.

Workers with the Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals recovered seven lizards, the largest measuring 6 feet long and weighing 25 pounds.

"They're alive and well," said SPCA director John Caldwell. He added that one of the reptiles recovered was acting aggressively, "actually going toward you, mouth open."

Caldwell said the lizards have small but very sharp teeth and muscular, whip-like tails that can seriously injure a person. In the wild, they eat eggs, birds and other animals, he said.

"In captivity, we feed them raw chicken and liver. You can also feed them hard-boiled eggs," he said.

The SPCA will try to place the lizards with zoos or educational groups, Caldwell said. Barring that, they will be euthanized.

The lizards are considered exotic pets in Delaware and cannot be acquired without a permit from the state Department of Agriculture.

State veterinarian Dr. H.W. Towers said the department stopped issuing such permits for New Castle County residents in 1997 after the county passed an ordinance to stop the proliferation of exotic pets.

Caldwell said he was told that Huff was granted an exotic pet permit several years ago. Towers said he didn't know, however, if Huff had permits for all the lizards.

"If somebody had come for seven monitor lizards, somebody would have said something to me," Towers said.

86Dde
01-17-2002, 05:18 PM
LMAO. Ok, thats morbid, but I am wondering what killed really killed him. I doubt it was a lizard.

u8nxprt
01-17-2002, 11:37 PM
The article doesn't say, maybe they did...

MD2020
01-18-2002, 12:10 AM
It's been on the local news here in Philly for the past couple of days. I believe the authorities are still waiting for autopsy results. One theory is that he got bitten by one of the lizards and either was poisioned or the wound got infected. If that happened, he may have either died or have collasped and been slowed down enough for the lizards to attack. I think on the news they said at least one of the lizards had eaten some of the poor guy.

They showed a couple of the lizards during the segment. Those suckers are pretty big!!

D Durden
01-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Guy probably dropped dead of a heart attack. Those Niles weren't really THAT big (in comparison to "big" lizards), and they don't really hunt in "packs". I grown man should be able to fend off the biggest one easily enough.

I'm betting he dropped dead of something and, being the scavengers that they are, they figured why waste a still-warm meal?

Aphasia
01-19-2002, 01:50 AM
Ok, that's absolutely hilarious.

If they didn't kill him, I'm glad they ate his corpse, because it would be a shame for them to die, too, just because he was an idiot and wanted to keep 7 flesh-eating lizards in his home.
If they did kill him, I can't say I feel all that bad about it...like I said, 7 lizards who eat flesh...not something a smart person likes to keep closeby. That's like having a tiger in your closet and an alligator in your bathtub...if they kill you and eat you, you can't say you didn't have it coming.

jwreck
09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
bump

in honor of durden appreciation night.

Kaliayev
09-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm sure I've heard a story like this before, only it was cats that had eaten the body. Most carnivore's are not adverse to nibbiling on a fresh corpse, I am certain.

BigStick
09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
LMAO. Ok, thats morbid, but I am wondering what killed really killed him. I doubt it was a lizard.Monitor Lizards are tough. But not THAT tough. A man could subdue one.